Leaders from Keck Medicine of USC and the Keck School of Medicine of USC shared an update recently on the construction projects that affect the Health Sciences Campus. The memo was sent by Rod Hanners, COO of Keck Medicine of USC and CEO of Keck Medical Center of USC, and Keck School Dean Laura Mosqueda, MD, to faculty, residents, staff and students across campus.
Campus Beautification Project
- Construction on the south side of Eastlake Avenue began in July and will be completed in May 2020.
- USC Norris Cancer Hospital valet moved to Lot 70 (L33) with a patient campus shuttle service available.
- A private developer-built Hyatt House 200-room hotel with a conference center is being built on the corner of San Pablo and Alcazar streets. It will include a variety of retail food options. The conference/meeting space is planned to be operated by USC Auxiliary Services.
- Scheduled completion is July 2020, with the first guests able to check in Summer 2020.
On-Campus Housing Project #2
- A second, private developer-built on-campus housing project, which will provide 275 additional beds, is under construction adjacent to Currie Hall and the San Pablo Parking Structure. With the additional beds, the Health Sciences Campus will have 731 beds for students and residents.
- The project began construction in January and is scheduled for completion in July 2020.
Valley Parking Lot
- A 1,600 vehicular surface parking lot (with 1,000 net new spaces) will be located where the Valley Warehouse Building and the vacated Edmondson Research Building currently are situated. The result will be an expanded Valley lot with improved vehicular and pedestrian access lighting and security features.
- The project began in April, with the content of the buildings being relocated or removed.
- Interior construction demolition begins in September and will be completed by November. The majority of the parking lot will be completed in October 2020 with the entire lot opening in early 2021.
Soto Street Widening (City of Los Angeles)
- The Soto Street project is being managed by the Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering.
- Phase 1 (underway) is removing the railroad bridge on Soto Street, over Valley Boulevard.
- Phase 2 will widen the bidge and will be completed in late 2021.
- Phase 3 will widen Soto Street and relocate and improve the driveway to USC’s Soto buildings.
Pappas Quad Projects
- Hoffman Medical Research Building: A series of interior core lab renovation began in April and will continue through April 2022.
- Mudd Memorial Research Building: A new underground steam vault and steam piping system was constructed directly east of Pappas Quad. The project was completed Aug. 25.
- Keith Administration Building (KAM): A chilled water project will bring underground chilled water piping from the existing line at the northeast corner of the Norris Medical Library (NML) into the KAM basement along the walkway just north of NML. Construction is scheduled for completion in mid-September.